Regular pushup or Standard pushup is a calisthenics exercise that helps you build incredible upper body strength. The regular pushup helps you to build core strength and balance, which is required in a number of different sports and exercises. Keeping this synergy in mind, regular pushup can be considered more effective than simply working a certain muscle group in isolation.
In addition to this, regular pushup can virtually be performed anywhere and anytime. There is hardly any piece of equipment required to do a pushup. And if some equipment is required, it can be easily arranged at home. Thus, you do not need any gym membership or spend time traveling to the gym. And on top of all of this, regular pushup helps you to build muscles as well.
Progressing Towards the Perfect Pushup
There is no shame to be not able to do a clean and perfect pushup. Everyone needs to start somewhere. The reason for being not able to do a clean pushup is quite simple. You have not been doing them ever. And to be honest, you are not the only one, who is not able to do a good looking pushup. Though the solution to this problem is simple. Start doing them now and keep practicing to get better each day.
For people who cannot perform a full range of motion involved in a regular pushup, try doing the simpler version by getting on the knees. This way you will be able to build the strength which will be useful in getting you ready for the full range of regular pushup. You can also go to the wall assisted pushup. These are the simple version of pushup and requires less amount of strength to perform.
How to Perform a Proper Regular Pushup?
To perform a proper regular pushup, one must learn to position the body correctly and the way to control the body movement throughout. Following are the steps that explain in detail to maintain the correct position of a body, for performing a pushup.
1. Start by taking the classic pushup position. The face should be down towards the floor, and the body weight balanced evenly on your hands and toes.
2. The position of your hands must be slightly wider than your shoulder width and should be in-line with the shoulders.
3. Maintain a straight line with your body. If you are having difficulty getting this form, use a rod to from your head to toes, to check out the body form.
4. Now tighten your glutes and ab muscles to attain the core strength, which will be used to push the body back in the up position.
5. Do not move the back right, left and center. Make sure the bottom of your body isn’t going high than the rest of the body line.
These are the few things that you must take care of, before and during the range of movement. If not corrected, this things will not let you attain the full benefits that pushup has to offer to your body.
Steps Involved In Regular Pushup
Following are the steps involved to perform the entire range of motion involved in regular pushups.
1. From the starting up position, slowly bend the elbows and lower the body down towards the floor in a controlled motion.
2. The moment your elbows make a 90-degree angle, start pushing your body back to the starting position.
3. Make sure your body or chest does not come in contact with the floor. Lock your elbows out, when you reach the start position and hold your body in the same position for a few seconds.
4. This position will be your resting position, which will help to attain full benefits that pushups have to offer.
5. Do not let your body lose control during the range of motion. The up and down movements of the body must be performed with momentum.
6. Perform as many control pushup as possible. Push your body for that one extra pushup each time. Test your limits and keep improving always.
Breathing Pattern for Regular Pushup
Control breathing is extremely important while performing a regular pushup, or any other pushup for that matter of fact. As you descend towards the floor, breathe in. Breathing in during the down motion will relax your ribcage. It will also expand your abdomen, meaning that the muscles around them will have to relax.
As you go back to the starting position, breathe out. Breathing out during the upwards motion will release air that helps to contract all of the abs muscles, which will help to push-up the body upwards in the starting position.
Muscle Group Regular Pushup Works On
The pushup is a great compounded exercise that works mostly on the upper body muscles. The major muscle group that pushup works on, are pectoral muscles, triceps, front and rear deltoids, biceps and latissimus dorsi. The pushup is a great exercise to build some strength in your chest and increase strength and stability inside the core muscle.
Benefits of Regular Pushup
Among the several benefits that pushup has to offer, here are a few of them, which we thought you must know about.
1. The movement involved in pushup activates the entire body which increases the overall functional strength.
2. It enhances your cardiovascular system by making your heart to deliver more oxygen-rich blood to various muscle tissues.
3. It prevents rotator cuff injury. The regular pushup is known to be the most effective way to prevent shoulder joints from getting injured. Especially in adults.
4. Enhances the quality of your posture. Having bad body posture is due to weak core muscles. And as already discussed, regular pushup helps to attain strength in core muscles.
5. Regular pushup or other pushups for that matter of fact involves no operational cost. This exercise can be performed anywhere and anytime, without the need for any expensive equipment. There is no need for you to get those over expensive gym membership.
How Many Regular Pushup Should You Do?
A regular pushup is certainly for beginners. Beginners can immediately start with regular pushup if you are able to maintain proper position and posture of the body. Start with 2 – 3 sets of 8 repetitions and gradually increase the number of reps.
If you no longer feel the difference and difficulty in performing a pushup, increase the number of reps to 15 – 18 and sets to 4–5.
You can also change the routine by trying a different variation of pushups like a close hand or wide grip pushup. This is more challenging as compared to regular or standard pushup and requires much more strength in comparison.
For someone, who finds difficult to perform a regular pushup, can start with knee position pushup, which has been discussed earlier in the post. Each day try to get better and better, by increasing the number of repetitions and by changing the position of your hands. This will increase the difficulty level involved in the movements and will train your body in different ways than normal. And sooner rather than later, you will feel the difference in your body and muscles.
Bodyweight exercises like pushup come with unique abilities. They are efficient, effective and inexpensive. There is no other exercise like a pushup, which leaves a compounded effect on your entire body.
And with so many benefits that pushup has to offer, there is simply no reason for you not to get started with it. Regular pushup not only works on your muscle groups and strengthens your chest, triceps, and biceps among others, but it also enhances the body posture and improves the range of motion of your body.
Moreover, you don’t have to pay to attain the muscular strength and stamina. It can all be done at the luxury of your home and office. And with so many different variations to be tried, there is no reason why you cannot have the super muscular strength and extraordinary abs to flaunt. All you need to do is follow the steps involved in each variation correctly and spend some valuable time perfecting it, before progressing ahead to the next variation in line.